St. John's Chapel in the Tower
St. John's Chapel, or the Chapel of St. John the Evangelist, is located in the Tower of London. Dating from 1080, this complete 11th century church is the oldest church in London. A beautiful Romanesque chapel, St. John's is on the second floor of the White Tower, which was built in 1077-97 as a keep or citadel, the oldest part of William the Conqueror's powerful fortress.
Rev. C. Arthur Lane Illustrated Notes on English Church History (London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1901)
Courtesy the private collection of Roy Winkelman