St. Thomas's Hospital
The hospital was described as ancient in 1215 and was named after Thomas Becket — which suggests it may have been founded after 1173 when Becket was canonized. However, it is possible it was only renamed in 1173 and that it was founded when St. Mary Overie Priory founded in 1106 in Southwark. At the end of the 17th century, the hospital and church were largely rebuilt by Sir Robert Clayton, president of the hospital and a former Lord Mayor of the City of London. He employed Thomas Cartwright as architect.