Pohick was the first permanent church in the colony to be established north of the Occoquan River, sometime prior to 1724. Originally called "the Occoquan Church," it was soon referred to as "Pohick Church" because of its proximity to Pohick Creek. George Washington's map of the area locates this long-lost wooden edifice near a site now occupied by Cranford Methodist Church.
Benson John Lossing, ed. Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (vol. 10) (New York, NY: Harper and Brothers, 1912)