Black Forest Village
View of a village in the Schwartzwald, or Black Forest. The Black Forest stands in the elbow formed by the Rhine river in its course from Schaffhausen to Basle, and from Basle to Mannheim. It is bounded by the plain that borders the river The Neckar River bounds it on the north, while on the east it is limited by the upper part of the same river, and by an imaginary line drawn from the source of the Neckar to Schaffhausen. The Black Forest owes its gloomy name to the dark aspect of its peaks and slopes which is shadowed by pine-trees. On the brightest day the forest's trees still retain their shadow.
DeColange, Leo The Heart of Europe from the Rhine to the Danube (Boston, MA: Estes and Lauriat, Publishers, 1883)
Courtesy the private collection of Roy Winkelman