Fort Pulaski, on Cockspur Island at the entrance to the Savannah River, Georgia, was built by the United States Government in 1829-31, for the defense of Tybee Roads and the Savannah River approach to the city of Savannah, Georgia. In January, 1861, it was seized and occupied by the military authorities of the State of Georgia, and held by them until transferred to the Confederate Government, by whom it was strongly armed and garrisoned. In form it was pentagonal; its walls were forty feet high, and presented two faces on the sea approach. The full armament of the fort consisted on the lower tier of 65 32-pounders, and the upper tier of 53 24-pounders, 4 18-pounders flanking howitzers, 1 13-inch mortar, 12 8-inch columbiads, and 7 10-inch mortars. The interior of the fort was well supplied with massive furnaces for heating shot, officers' quarters, soldiers' barracks, magazines, and a tolerable supply of shot and powder.