The 1763-1788 American Revolution Places ClipArt gallery provides 301 illustrations of the Apollo Room, Carpenter's Hall, Concord, Faneuil Hall, Mount Vernon, the Old South Meeting House, and other locations associated with the American War for Independence.

"General Howe's quarters were in a house on High Street, one door east from the southeast corner of Sixth Street, where President Washington resided. Three houses, Nos. 192-194 High Street, now occupy the site of this mansion."—Lossing, 1851

Howe's Quarters

"General Howe's quarters were in a house on High Street, one door east from the southeast corner of…

"General Howe's quarters."—Lossing, 1851

Howe's Quarters

"General Howe's quarters."—Lossing, 1851

"Hubbard's House and Mill. The inscriptions upon the monument are as follows: East Side: "Oliver Hazard Perry. At the age of 27 years he achieved the victory of Lake Erie September 10, 1813.' North Side: 'Born in South Kingston, R. I., August 23rd, 1785. Died at Fort Spain, Trinidad, August 23d, 1819, aged 34 years.' West Side: 'His remains were conveyed to his native land in a ship of war, according to a resolution of Congress, and were here interred, December 4, 1826.' South Side: 'Erected by the State of Rhode Island.'"—Lossing, 1851

Hubbard's House and Mill

"Hubbard's House and Mill. The inscriptions upon the monument are as follows: East Side: "Oliver Hazard…

The battle-ground of Hubbardton.

Hubbardton

The battle-ground of Hubbardton.

"Governor Huntington's Mansion."—Lossing, 1851

Huntington Mansion

"Governor Huntington's Mansion."—Lossing, 1851

Indepenence Hall, Philidelphia, where the Declaration of Indepence was signed.

Independence Hall, Philadelphia

Indepenence Hall, Philidelphia, where the Declaration of Indepence was signed.

Independence Hall, 1776

Independence Hall

Independence Hall, 1776

Interior of Independence Hall

Independence Hall

Interior of Independence Hall

Independence Hall, Philadelphia where the Declaration of Independence was signed.

Independence Hall

Independence Hall, Philadelphia where the Declaration of Independence was signed.

The location where both the Declaration of Independence and the United States Constitution were debated and adopted.

Independence Hall

The location where both the Declaration of Independence and the United States Constitution were debated…

The Jacob Purdy House was used as General George Washington's headquarters in 1778 and possibly in 1776 during the Battle of White Plains of the American Revolutionary War.

Jacob Purdy House

The Jacob Purdy House was used as General George Washington's headquarters in 1778 and possibly in 1776…

"Scene on the James River, at Richmond. This view is from a long shaded island extending up the river from Mayo's Bridge, one of the three structures which span the stream at Richmond. Down the river from our point of view is seen Mayo's Bridge, and, in the extreme distance, the lower portion of Richmond, upon Richmond or Church Hill. Several fish-traps are seen among the rapids in the river. On the left are observed two or three smaller islands. Since the boave sketch was made, a bridge, for the accommodation of the Danville rail-way, has been constructed from the Richmond end of Mayo's Bridge, diagonally, to the southern end of the Petersburgh rail-way bridge, crossing very nearly our point of view. Not content with thus marring the beauty of one of the finest series of islands and cascades in the country, the company have covered the bridge, so as to shut out from the eyes of passengers the surrounding attractions."—Lossing, 1851

James River

"Scene on the James River, at Richmond. This view is from a long shaded island extending up the river…

"Colonel Jameson's head-quarters. This is a view of the out-buildings of Mr. Sands, at North Castle, situated a few yards from his residence. The lowest building, on the left, is the dwelling, now attached to the barn of Mr. Sands, which Jameson used as his head-quarters. In that building Andre was kept guarded until sent to West Point."—Lossing, 1851

Jameson's Head-quarters

"Colonel Jameson's head-quarters. This is a view of the out-buildings of Mr. Sands, at North Castle,…

"Distant view of Jamestown Island. This view is from the north side of what was once a marsh, but now a deep bay, four hundred yards wide. On the left is seen the remains of a bridge, destroyed by a gale and high tide a few years ago; and beyond is the James River. Near the point of the island, toward the end of the bridge, are the remains of an ancient church. Mr. Coke resided upon the island when the tempest occurred which destroyed the bridge. The island was submerged, and for three days himself and family were prisoners. It was in winter, and he was obliged to cut the branches of ornamental trees that were close to his house, for fuel. I was gravely informed by a man on the beach, while making the sketch, that Pocahontas crossed at that very spot '<em>in her skiff</em>,' when she went to warn the Jamestown settlers of threatened danger. The dear child had no need of a skiff, had such a thing existed in America, for I was told by Mr. Coke that his father-in-law well remembered when a marsh, so narrow and firm that a person might cross it upon a fence rail, was where the deep water at the ruined bridge now is. Every year the current of James River is changing its margins in this region, and within a few years Jamestown Island, made so only by a marsh on the land side, will have a navigable channel around it. Already a large portion of it, whereon the ancient town was erected, has been washed away; and I was informed that a cypress-tree, now many yards from the shore stood at the end of a carriage-way to the wharf, sixty yards from the water's edge, only sixteen years ago. The destructive flood is gradually approaching the old church tower, and if the hand of man shall not arrest its sure progress, that too will be swept away, and not a vestige of Jamestown will remain. Virginians, look to it, and let a wall of masonry along the river margin attest your reverence for the most interesting historical relic within your borders! Some remains of the old fort may be seen at low water, several yards from the shore."&mdash;Lossing, 1851

Jamestown Island

"Distant view of Jamestown Island. This view is from the north side of what was once a marsh, but now…

"Ruins at Jamestown. This view is from the old church-yard, looking toward James River, a glimpse of which may be seen through the arches. The stream is here about three miles wide. It is uncertain at what precise time the church, of which now only a portion of the tower remains, was erected. It ws probably built sometime between 1617 and 1620. According to Smith, a fire consumed a large portion of the town, with the palisades, at about the close of 1607, the first year of the settlement. Captain Smith and Mr. Scrivener were appointed commissioners to superintend the rebuilding of the town and church. Afterward, in speaking of the arrival of Governor Argall in 1617, he says, 'In James towne he found but five or six houses, the church downe, the pallizados broken, the bridge in pieces, the well of fresh water spoiled, the store-house used for the church.' The tower here represented was doubtless of the third church built, and is now (1852) about 234 years old. The tower is now about thirty feet high, the walls three feet thick, all of imported brick."&mdash;Lossing, 1851

Jamestown Ruins

"Ruins at Jamestown. This view is from the old church-yard, looking toward James River, a glimpse of…

"View at Jasper's Spring."—Lossing, 1851

Jasper's Spring

"View at Jasper's Spring."—Lossing, 1851

"View at Jefferis' Ford. This view is from the easterly bank of the Brandywine. The ford was at the mouth of the little creek seen issuing from the small bridge on the left. The Brandywine here is broad and shallow, with quite a rapid current."&mdash;Lossing, 1851

Jefferis' Ford

"View at Jefferis' Ford. This view is from the easterly bank of the Brandywine. The ford was at the…

North point of Johnson Hall.

Johnson Hall

North point of Johnson Hall.

The Jumel Mansion in New York City is a historic location which served as the headquarters for both sides of the American Revolution.

Jumel Mansion

The Jumel Mansion in New York City is a historic location which served as the headquarters for both…

"View at King's Bridge. This view is from the southwest side of the stream, from near the tide-mill. The house beyond, shaded by willows, is the residence of the widow of the late Robert McComb."—Lossing, 1851

King's Bridge

"View at King's Bridge. This view is from the southwest side of the stream, from near the tide-mill.…

"View at King's Mountain battle-ground. This view is from the foot of the hill, whereon the hottest of the fight occurred. The north slope of that eminence is seen on the left. In the center, within a sort of basin, into which several ravines converge, is seen the simple monument erected to the memory of Ferguson and others; and in the foreground, on the right, is seen the great tulip-tree, upon which, tradition says, ten Tories were hung."&mdash;Lossing, 1851

King's Mountain Battle-Ground

"View at King's Mountain battle-ground. This view is from the foot of the hill, whereon the hottest…

The Battle of Kings Mountain, October 7, 1780, was an important Patriot victory in the Southern campaign of the American Revolutionary War.

View at King's Mountain Battleground

The Battle of Kings Mountain, October 7, 1780, was an important Patriot victory in the Southern campaign…

"Mr. Jacobus Kip lived in an old-fashioned Dutch house, built of bricks make in Holland and brought to America, because the old Dutch burghers thought that there was no clay in American suitable to be made into bricks. The house stood a short distance from the water, and had curiously shaped windows in the roof, and a weather-cock above the ridge-pole."&mdash;Coffin, 1879

Jacobus Kip's House

"Mr. Jacobus Kip lived in an old-fashioned Dutch house, built of bricks make in Holland and brought…

This is the place near Chadd's Ford where Lafayette took post and occupied his headquarters.

Lafayette's Headquarters Near Chadd's Ford

This is the place near Chadd's Ford where Lafayette took post and occupied his headquarters.

Head of Lake George

Lake George

Head of Lake George

Liberty Hall. Some time after the death of Governor Livingston this property was purchased by Lord Blingbroke, who, under the assumed name of John Belesis, ran away from England with a daughter of Baron Hompasch, a German general. She was at a boarding school there, and Bolingbroke had a wife living. He married the girl here. She died in England in 1848. The grandmother of the present proprietor, Susan, the daughter of Peter Van Burgh Livingston, bought the farm of Lord Bolingbroke, and it has been in possession of the family ever since. Her first husband was John Kean, a member of Congress from South Carolina from 1785 to 1787, and was first cashier of the first United States Bank, chartered by an act of Congress passed February 8th, 1791. Her second husband was Count Niemcewicz, a Polish nobleman.

Liberty Hall

Liberty Hall. Some time after the death of Governor Livingston this property was purchased by Lord Blingbroke,…

"Lillington Hall."&mdash;Lossing, 1851

Lillington Hall

"Lillington Hall."—Lossing, 1851

View at Little Falls. This view was taken from the rail-road near the village, looking down the river. On the right is seen the Erie Canal, and on the left, and more in the foreground, the Mohawk, at the foot of the falls, with the rail-road and the magnetic highway. The rugged bluff in the center is Moss Rock, at the lower extremity of which is the gulf, seen in the annexed engraving. This view is from the tow-path, below Moss Rock. On the left is the canal, and on the right are the gulf and a portion of the village in the distance. Moss Rock is an island, formed by the canal and the river. The summit of this amorphous pile has been suggested as an appropriate site for the proposed monument to the memory of Dewitt Clinton. It seems to me that the spot is singularly appropriate for that purpose. The Erie Canal, with its busy commerce, is his perpetual memorial; and here is the point where the most wonderful triumphs were achieved in the construction of that stupendous work. Here, too, pass all travelers to and from Niagara and the great West from the eastward, and the monument would be seen, if erected there, by more persons than at any other locality that may be named, out of the city of New York.

Little Falls

View at Little Falls. This view was taken from the rail-road near the village, looking down the river.…

The Livingston Mansion. Colonel Livingston died June 9th, 1849. Although living in the retirement of a gentleman of wealth and leisure, he often consented to serve the public in offices requiring judgment, industry, and integrity. He was a member of the state Senate on term; and it is a remarkable fact that he was never absent a day from his post inthe Senate Chamber or in the hall of the Court of Errors. He will long be remembered in Poughkeepsie as one of its best citizens.

Livingston Mansion

The Livingston Mansion. Colonel Livingston died June 9th, 1849. Although living in the retirement of…

"The Livingston Mansion. This is a view from the lawn on the north side. It is embowerd in trees and shrubbery, and is one of the most pleasantly-located mansions in the country, overlooking interesting portios of the Hudson River. Within its walls many of the leading men of the Revolution were entertained. It was the head-quarters of Washington, when he abandoned an attempt to capture Cornwallis. There, at the close of the war, Washington, Governor Clinton, and General Sir Guy Carleton, and their respective suites, met to make arrangements for the evacuation of the city of New York by the British. Washington and Clinton came down the river from West Point in a barge; Carleton ascended in a frigate. Four companies of American Infantry performed the duty of guards on that occasion."&mdash;Lossing, 1851

Livingston Mansion

"The Livingston Mansion. This is a view from the lawn on the north side. It is embowerd in trees and…

Long Point and vicinity. This little sketch was taken from the steam-boat , near the south end of Long Island, which appears in the foreground. Long Point is seen in the center, and on the right are Dunham's Bay and the northern extremity of the French Mountain. The highest peak on the left is Deer Pasture, or Buck Mountain.

Long Point

Long Point and vicinity. This little sketch was taken from the steam-boat , near the south end of Long…

At the Battle of Long Island, in August of 1776, Stirling led the 1st Maryland Regiment in repeated attacks against a superior British force at the Old Stone House near what is today named the Gowanus Canal and took heavy casualties.

Lord Stirling's Last Stand Around the Cortelyou House

At the Battle of Long Island, in August of 1776, Stirling led the 1st Maryland Regiment in repeated…

Place where Lovelace was executed.

Lovelace executed

Place where Lovelace was executed.

This is the Lutheran Church in Barren Hill where Lafayette took post and occupied his headquarters.

Lutheran Church, Barren Hill, Lafayette's Headquarters

This is the Lutheran Church in Barren Hill where Lafayette took post and occupied his headquarters.

The Lutheran Church in Philadelphia that Congress met at to "return thanks to the Almighty God for crowning the allied armies of the United States and France with success."

Lutheran Church, Philadelphia

The Lutheran Church in Philadelphia that Congress met at to "return thanks to the Almighty God for crowning…

"The Old Magazine. This view is from the square, looking southeast. South of it is a neat frame building, which was occupied by President Tyler before his election to the office of Vice-president of the United States."&mdash;Lossing, 1851

Old Magazine

"The Old Magazine. This view is from the square, looking southeast. South of it is a neat frame building,…

"Dwelling of General McIntosh. This house is the third eastward from Drayton Street, and is said to be the oldest brick house in Savannah. Broad Street, upon which it stands, is a noble avenue, shaded by four rows of Pride-of-India-Trees."&mdash;Lossing, 1851

McIntosh's House

"Dwelling of General McIntosh. This house is the third eastward from Drayton Street, and is said to…

West Bridge and Milford Hill. This view is from the Milford Road, eastward of West Bridge. The high ground in the distance is Milford Mill, on which is seen on the road, directly over the umbrella. A little to the right of the road is the spot where Major Campbell was buried. West Bridge is about a mile and a half from the central part of New Haven.

Milford Hill

West Bridge and Milford Hill. This view is from the Milford Road, eastward of West Bridge. The high…

"Battle-ground at Monmouth. This view is from the orchard, upon the site of Wayne's position when Monckton fell. The old house on the left is the ancient parsonage, occupied, at the time of the battle, by a man named Freeman. Beyond the house, extending right and left, is the place of the morass, now fine meadow land, with a clear stream running through it; and in the extreme distance are seen the slopes and elevations whereon the second division of the American army, under Washington, was drawn up. Upon the rising ground on the extreme right, the British grenadiers were stationed; and two figures in the open field, about fifty yards distant from our point of view, denote the spot where Monckton was killed."&mdash;Lossing, 1851

Monmouth Battle-Ground

"Battle-ground at Monmouth. This view is from the orchard, upon the site of Wayne's position when Monckton…

The Battle of Monmouth was an American Revolutionary War battle fought on June 28, 1778 in New Jersey. Washington sent almost one-half of his army as an advance when Clinton made the imminent move out of the Monmouth Courthouse.

Old Monmouth Courthouse

The Battle of Monmouth was an American Revolutionary War battle fought on June 28, 1778 in New Jersey.…

The Battle of Monmouth was an American Revolutionary War battle fought on June 28, 1778 in New Jersey.

Battleground at Monmouth

The Battle of Monmouth was an American Revolutionary War battle fought on June 28, 1778 in New Jersey.

The Susquehanna at Monocasy Island. This view is from the left of eastern bank of the Susquehanna, opposite the center of Monocasy Island, looking up the river. Toward the foreground, on the right of the picture, a little beyond the bar-post, is seen a ravine, through which the fugitives who crossed the river in safety made their way. On the left are seen the upper end of Monocasy, and a sand-bar which divides the waters of the river. The distant hills on the left are those which bound the western side of the valley. From the head of Monocasy Island, across the sand-bar, the river is often fordable in summer to the eastern side.

Monocasy Island

The Susquehanna at Monocasy Island. This view is from the left of eastern bank of the Susquehanna, opposite…

Montmorenci Falls.

Montmorenci Falls

Montmorenci Falls.

"This is a view from the lawn, looking south. It is a frame building with a brick foundation. At the time of the siege it belonged in fee to Governor Nelson, but its occupant, a widow Moore, had a life interest in it, and it was known as Moore's house. The narrow piazza in front is a modern addition. This house is upon the Temple Farm, so called from the fact that vestiges of a small temple or church, and the remains of an ancient settlement, are there seen, about a mile and a half south of Yorktown. Around the temple was a wall, and within are several tomb-stones. One of these bear the name of Major William Gooch, and the date of his death, 1655."&mdash;Lossing, 1851

Moore's House

"This is a view from the lawn, looking south. It is a frame building with a brick foundation. At the…

The Morris-Jumel Mansion, located in historic Washington Heights, is the oldest house in Manhattan. It served as a headquarters for both sides in the American Revolution. It was built by Roger Morris in 1765 and reflects the Palladian style of architecture. When the Revolutionary War began in 1776, Morris, who was a Loyalist, and his wife returned to England.

Morris-Jumel Mansion

The Morris-Jumel Mansion, located in historic Washington Heights, is the oldest house in Manhattan.…

Washington's head-quarters at Morristown. This view is from the forks of the road, directly in front of the mansion. The house is of brick, covered with planks, and painted white. The rooms are large and well finished, and it was a fine mansion for the times.

Morristown

Washington's head-quarters at Morristown. This view is from the forks of the road, directly in front…

"Morven, Stockton's estate. This sketch is from the lawn in front, which is shaded by venerable pines and other ornamental trees. The mansion stands upon level grounds, beautifully laid out, having carriage entrances from the street. Every thing was covered with snow when I was there, and dreariness prevailed where summer charms delight the visitor."—Lossing, 1851

Morven

"Morven, Stockton's estate. This sketch is from the lawn in front, which is shaded by venerable pines…

"View at Fort Motte."&mdash;Lossing, 1851

Fort Motte

"View at Fort Motte."—Lossing, 1851

"View at Fort Moultrie. This view is from the southwestern angle of Fort Sullivan, looking toward Jame's Island. That angle, with cannons, a portion of the barracks, and the flag-staff, are seen on the right. The small building toward the left marks the center of the old Palmetto Fort. In the distance is seen Fort Sumter, and in the extreme distance, close by the angle of the fort, is seen the village upon the site of old Fort Johnson. Charleston bar, at the entrance of the harbor, is about six miles from the city. The width of the inner harbor, at its mouth, is about a mile wide. This is guarded by Forts Moultrie, Sumter, and Johnson, and by Castle Pickney, a handsome work in front of the city, within the inner harbor."&mdash;Lossing, 1851

Fort Moultrie

"View at Fort Moultrie. This view is from the southwestern angle of Fort Sullivan, looking toward Jame's…

View from the top of Mount Defiance.

Mount Defiance

View from the top of Mount Defiance.

"Mount Vernon. This view is from the lawn in front, looking down the Potomac. The mansion is built of wood, cut so as to resemble stone, like Johnson Hall, at Johnstown, in New York, and is two stories in height. The central part was built by Lawrence Washington, a brother of the chief. The wings were added by the general. Through the center of the building is a spacious passage, level with the portico, and paved with tesselated Italian marble. This hall communicates with three large rooms, and with the main stair-way leading to the second story. The piazza on the eastern or river front is of square paneled pilasters, extending the whole length of the edifice. There is an observatory and cupola in the center of the roof, from whence may be obtained an extensive view of the surrounding country. The Mount Vernon estate was inherited by Lawrence Washington, who named it in honor of Admiral Vernon. He bequeathed it to George, and it passed into his possession on the death of Lawrence, which occurred in the mansion we are now noticing, on the 26th of July, 1752."&mdash;Lossing, 1851

Mount Vernon

"Mount Vernon. This view is from the lawn in front, looking down the Potomac. The mansion is built of…

Mount Vernon, George Washington's estate

Mount Vernon

Mount Vernon, George Washington's estate

The servant's quarters of George Washington's Mount Vernon plantation in Virginia.

Mount Vernon

The servant's quarters of George Washington's Mount Vernon plantation in Virginia.

"Mountain Gorge near the Cherokee Ford."&mdash;Lossing, 1851

Mountain Gorge

"Mountain Gorge near the Cherokee Ford."—Lossing, 1851

Mrs. Mathews' house. This sketch was made from the left bank of the Rahway, at the site of the old bridge. This is now the rear of the house, but, at the time of the battle, the road was upon this side of it, which formed the front. Remains of the abutments of the old bridge, where the British crossed, may still be seen.

Mrs. Mathews' house

Mrs. Mathews' house. This sketch was made from the left bank of the Rahway, at the site of the old bridge.…

The mansion of Neilson, an active Whig at the time of the Battle of Bemis's Heights. It was the headquarters of General Poor and Colonel Morgan.

Neilson House on Bemis's Heights

The mansion of Neilson, an active Whig at the time of the Battle of Bemis's Heights. It was the headquarters…

"Nelson House, Yorktown, VA. Which was occupied as headquarters by General Cornwallis.

Nelson House

"Nelson House, Yorktown, VA. Which was occupied as headquarters by General Cornwallis.

"The Nelson Mansion. This view is from the street looking northwest. A long wooden building, with steep roof and dormer windows, a portion of which is seen on the left, is also a relic of the Revolutionary era. It, too, was much damaged by the bombardment. A few feet from the door of Mr. Nelson's dwelling is a fine laurel-tree. On the occasion of La Fayette's visit to Yorktown in 1824, a large concourse of people were assembled; branches were taken from this laurel-tree, woven into a civic crown, and placed upon that of Preserved Fish, who accompanied him, remarked that none in all that company was better entitled to wear the mark of honor than he."&mdash;Lossing, 1851

Nelson Mansion

"The Nelson Mansion. This view is from the street looking northwest. A long wooden building, with steep…

"View at Nelson's Ferry, the spot here portrayed, was an important locality during the Revolution. It was the principal crossing-place of the Santee for travelers or troops passing between Camden and Charleston, and as such, commanded the attention of the British after they captured the latter city. A redoubt was cast up there upon the north side of the Santee, and garrisoned by a small detachment; and to that point, as we have seen, Lord Rawdon retreated from Camden."&mdash;Lossing, 1851

Nelson's Ferry

"View at Nelson's Ferry, the spot here portrayed, was an important locality during the Revolution. It…