ThinkQuest is a free protected online environment that enables students and teachers to integrate learning projects into curriculum utilizing 21st century skills.
Benefits to Florida Schools
Florida Digital Educators (FDE) partnership with ThinkQuest ensures that teachers and students seamlessly use technology as a tool to accomplish tasks through higher-order thinking skills within a disciplined study so students will succeed in the global community. The program provides access to:
- ThinkQuest Projects: A project environment where students and teachers engage in global collaborative learning.
- ThinkQuest Competition: A competition space where student participate in technology contests.
- ThinkQuest Library: The world’s largest online repository of student developed learning projects (web sites) visited by millions of learners each month.
- ThinkQuest Professional Development: A comprehensive training focused on the use of project learning including “Getting Started with Projects” and the “Project Learning Institute.”
Role of the Florida Digital Educator program:
- provide statewide awareness training on ThinkQuest
- a number of MDEs are part of the ThinkQuest trainer network
- alignment of Thinkfinity resources to state goals and objectives
ThinkQuest in Florida
- ThinkQuest Professional Development: Project Learning Institute
- Planned institute for Lake County summer 2010
- Institute offered in Brevard County summer 2009
- ThinkQuest Competition Winners
- Florida students have been awarded top prizes in ThinkQuest competitions.
The Center for Technology in Learning published a white paper entitled: “The Power of Project Learning with ThinkQuest.” The paper highlights the work and project of educator and MDE Mijana Lockard and her students. Their project “Forget Me Not: Students Making a Difference in Their Community” showcases how students are engaged in their learning when curriculum is focused on project learning.
The Oracle Education Foundation (OEF) provides ThinkQuest as a free service to K-12 schools globally. No advertising or spam is allowed (learn more about OEF).
For more information on ThinkQuest in Florida, contact Michael Sweeney