The Wind in the Willows is a classic of children's literature by Kenneth Grahame, first published in 1908. Alternately slow moving and fast paced, it focuses on four anthropomorphised animal characters in a pastoral version of England. The novel is notable for its mixture of mysticism, adventure, morality, and camaraderie.
Source: Grahame, K. (1908). The Wind in the Willows. London: Methuen.
- The River Bank
- Mole is busy with spring-cleaning when he feels compelled to visit the world above. Mole and Rat take a trip up the river.
- The Open Road
- Mole and Rat visit Mr. Toad, who invites them to join him on a trip. Toad becomes enamored with a new craze while Mole and Rat catch the train home.
- The Wild Wood
- Mole journeys to the Wild Wood where he is later met by Rat. Mole and Rate find the home of Mr. Badger
- Mr. Badger
- Mr. Badger welcomes his unexpected guests. Otter brings news from the River Bank. Badger helps the visitors make their way home.
- Dulce Domum
- Mole, accompanied by his new friends, returns to his home. Mole sends for groceries in order to feed his guests.
- Mr. Toad
- With the arrival of spring, Rat and Mole prepare the boat. Badger attempts to control Toad's behavior.
- The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
- Rat and Mole are find a missing child with the help of a mythical creature.
- Toad's Adventures
- Toad, now in jail, escapes with the help a sympathetic party.
- Wayfarers All
- Rat is about to leave on another adventure with the Sea Rat, but is stopped by Mole before departing.
- The Further Adventures of Toad
- Toad continues to make his way home, but once again finds trouble behind the wheel of an automobile.
- Like Summer Tempests Came His Tears
- The Water Rat informs Toad that Toad Hall has been taken over. Badger comes up with a plan to save Toad Hall.
- The Return of Ulysses
- Toad Hall is liberated. Toad sings a song in celebration.
Grahame, K. (1908). The Wind in the Willows. (Lit2Go ed.). Retrieved June 23, 2017, from
Grahame, Kenneth. The Wind in the Willows. Lit2Go Edition. 1908. Web. <>. June 23, 2017.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows, Li2Go edition, (1908), accessed June 23, 2017,.