Great Depression and the New Deal: Causes and Effects
Shared Reading: The teacher will read aloud "Great Depression and the New Deal" as students follow along. During the reading the teacher will guide students to complete a whole-class cause and effect chart listing the major causes of the Great Depression and their effect(s) on the Florida economy. Then students will break into groups of 3-4 and investigate a specific cause/effect relationship. Groups will use the internet to locate photographs and additional details and facts about the incident and create a Powerpoint or Keynote presentation with speaking notes to present to the class.
Keywords: Great Depression; Powerpoint; Keynote; collaborative presentations
1. The students will identify the main causes and effects that led to the Great Depression.
2. The students will collaboratively create a Powerpoint or Keynote presentation that provides details and images about the main causes of the Great Depression and/or the New Deal.
3. The students will collaboratively present the main causes and effects of the Great Depression and the New Deal to the class with a Powerpoint or Keynote presentation including images.
Standard 7: Roaring 20's, the Great Depression, and WWII in Florida (SS.4.A.7)
1. Describe the causes and effects of the 1920's Florida land boom and bust. (SS.4.A.7.1)
2. Summarize challenges Floridians faced during the Great Depression. (SS.4.A.7.2)
Students will need to know how to navigate the internet to locate images.
Students will need to know how to use Powerpoint or Keynote to create a presentation.
Students will need to have been introduced to the concept of cause and effect.
1. The teacher will review cause and effect relationships with students.
2. The teacher will read aloud "Great Depression and the New Deal" (see link below) while students follow along (students should have a copy of the text).
3. While reading, the teacher will stop to guide students in completing a cause/effect two-column chart. The chart will be on chart paper posted in the front of the room.
4. After completing the shared reading of the passage and the cause/effect chart, students will be divided into groups of 3-4 and assigned a cause/effect relationship from the class chart to investigate.
5. Students will be given time to research that topic via internet sites and assigned a task of creating a Powerpoint or Keynote presentation to present to the class. The presentation should include elaboration about the cause/effect that led to the Great Depression or details about the New Deal and images to support the details.
6. Groups will present a 2-4 minute presentation to the class.
1.The teacher will monitor students during group work and assess participation based on observation.
2. Students' presentations will be assessed based on the inclusion of relevant details and images about their assigned topic and all students in a group participating in the oral presentation.
3. Students can complete the FCAT style questions available at the link below.
Extensions and Adaptations
1. Students may use resources from the classroom or library to collect information.
2. If access to Powerpoint or Keynote is not available students can create posters to display their information for their presentation.
3. Students may create their own cause/effect two-column chart.
Estimated Lesson Duration