This is a review lesson on the three different types of rocks. (Metamorphic, Sedimentary, Igneous) Students will compare/contrast two of the three rocks using a Venn Diagram, and answer questions about erosion and weathering.
Keywords: Rock Cycle, Erosion, Weathering, Metamorphic, Sedimentary, Igneous, compare and contrast, Venn diagram, science, rocks,
Students will review the three different types of rocks. (Metamorphic, Sedimentary, Igneous)
Students will have to compare/contrast two of the three rocks using a Venn Diagram.
Students will answer questions about erosion and weathering.
SC.4.E.6.1- Identify the three categories of rocks: igneous, (formed from molten rock); sedimentary (pieces of other rocks and fossilized organisms); and metamorphic (formed from heat and pressure).
SC.4.E.6.4- Describe the basic differences between physical weathering (breaking down of rock by wind, water, ice, temperature change, and plants) and erosion (movement of rock by gravity, wind, water, and ice).
Materials needed include a grade level text about different types of rocks,weathering, and erosion (ex-basal readers). You will also need a computer station, where the students can perform this activity individually.
1. Before the students read the story, they will write down what they remember about the rock cycle from the beginning of the year.
2. The students will partner read a text about the rock cycle.
3. As the students are reading the story with their partner, they will write down facts.
4. After students complete the story and their facts, the teacher will ask discussion questions about what the students have read.
5. Before students go into their centers, teacher will explain to them the assignment in the technology center.
6. In the technology center, the students will be completing an electronic word document. After the student completes this assignment, it is to be printed out and turned in for a grade.
7. Teacher will display the electronic word document on the Promethean board for the students to view.
8. Students will then break off into their centers.
The teacher will assess the student's knowledge based on the worksheet.
Estimated Lesson Duration
- rock_venn.pdf 0 B