A Lucky Charm Sort
Students will sort Lucky Charms based on shapes, using a table to record the answers.
Keywords: sorting, completing table, lucky charms
Students will be able:
1. to count shapes;
2. sort shapes; and
3. complete table.
Sort objects by observable properties, such as size, shape, color, temperature (hot or cold), weight (heavy or light) and texture. (SC.K.P.8.1)
Separate and prepare enough cups with Lucky Charms cereal.
Print and copy attached table for students to record count.
Set up document camera.
1. Pass out a cup with cereal to each group.
2. Instruct students to sort the shapes of the marshmallow cereal.
3. Have students count how many of each shape of cereal and record on the table sheet.
4. As a class, ask each group to tell how many they have of each shape and record on the whole class table (show table on document camera as you fill it in).
5. Using the table, discuss the findings of the most to least shapes found in the box of cereal.
Monitor each students ability to sort by a common characteristic and how many of each type that they had.
Extensions and Adaptations
Have students sort cereal based on different characteristics.
Estimated Lesson Duration