ETC > NSA Home > Language Arts 3-5 >
First grade and third grade students will choose an author to study and then create a powerpoint presentation on the author.
- Students will use the reading process effectively.
- Students will use the writing process effectively.
- Students will use speaking strategies efffectively.
- Students will understand the power of language.
- 1st week: Read aloud/discuss stories by Robert Munsch:
- Thomas' Snowsuit
- Andrew's Loose Tooth
- Stephanies' Ponytail
- 50 Below Zero
- Alligator Baby
- 2nd week: Model Author Study/PowerPoint through Munsch on digital projector. Search/locate/bookmark author Internet site. Vocabulary: slide, cut, paste, minimize, select, insert, font, save as, edit, text, graphic. Students recreate Robert Munsch Author slide applying skills taught.
- Students select an author/locate books and begin reading.
- 3rd week: 1st Grade/3rd Grade partners meet. Teacher models a PowerPoint example. Students locate author on the Internet. Read, share information/3rd Gr. takes notes for team.
- 1st/3rd Graders work together from slide from slide formatting study guide to creat slides, titles, text, cut and paste photograph. Script, props, record mini-movie.
- Continue working with learning buddy on text and graphics. Add animation, sound, transitions. Insert movie from flash drive.
- Learning partners will edit and practice timing and transitions.
- Partners do spell check and add narration.
- Partners present PowerPoint presentations to class 1st and 3rd grade classes.
Sunshine State Standards
NETS Profiles for Technology Literate Students
- Use input devices (e.g., mouse, keyboard, remote control) and output devices (e.g., monitor, printer) to successfully operate computers, VCRs, audiotapes, and other technologies.
- Use a variety of media and technology resources for directed and independent learning activities.
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with peers, family members, and others when using technology in the classroom.
- Create developmentally appropriate multimedia products with support from teachers, family members, or student partners.
- Use technology resources (e.g., puzzles, logical thinking programs, writing tools, digital cameras, drawing tools) for problem solving, communication, and illustration of thoughts, ideas, and stories.
- books by different authors
- Internet access
ETC > NSA Home > Language Arts 3-5 > Author Study: First grade and third grade students will choose an author to study and then create a powerpoint presentation on the author.