ETC > NSA Home > Health and PE 3-5 >
Understanding Food Labels
Students will gain a better understanding of the foods they eat by examining food labels and placing the information on a spreadsheet.
- Students will know the nutritional values of different foods.
- Students will know how to access valid health information and health-promoting products and services.
- Students will understand the different ways numbers are represented and used in the real world.
- First, students will read the labels of 3 different brands of hot dogs (organic or meatless), 3 brands of healthy chips (baked or low cholesterol), and 2 brands of hot dogs buns.
- Then, students will determine the number of calories, serving size, calories per serving size, percentages of fat, and different vitamins and minerals in the different food products.
- Students will set up an Excel spreadsheet with fields for calories, serving size, etc.
- Next, they will create a formula to determine the number of calories per serving size and the daily percentages of carbohydrates, protein, sodium, and fat.
Sunshine State Standards
NETS Profiles for Technology Literate Students
- Use keyboards and other common input and output devices (including adaptive devices when necessary) efficiently and effectively.
- Use general purpose productivity tools and peripherals to support personal productivity, remediate skill deficits, and facilitate learning throughout the curriculum.
- Determine when technology is useful and select the appropriate tool(s) and technology resources to address a variety of tasks and problems.
- Microsoft Excel
- Food labels
ETC > NSA Home > Health and PE 3-5 > Understanding Food Labels: Students will gain a better understanding of the foods they eat by examining food labels and placing the information on a spreadsheet.