ETC > NSA Home > Health and PE 3-5 >
For Earth Day, students will use technology to research climate change and solar cookers and develop a plan for creating their own solar cooker.
- Students comprehends concepts related to health promotion and disease prevention.
- Students know how to access valid health information and health-promoting products and services.
- Students know how to advocate for personal, family, and community health.
- Students recognize the costs and risks to society and the environment posed by the use of nonrenewable energy.
- Students know that using, recycling, and reducing the use of natural resources improve and protect the quality of life.
- First,the focus internationally for Earth Day 2006 is climate changes, so have students research solutions to climate changes on the Internet.
- Next, using the data from their research, each student creates a brochure focusing on one area of climate changes that interests them.
- Include the following sections on the brochure: What is the problem? Who is affected? What has created the problem? Finally, propose solutions to the problem or include solutions that have been proposed by experts in the field.
- For Earth Day, invite a scientist to speak about solar cookers to the class and have a solar cookout!
- Have students go to website http://solarcooking.org and do an Inspiration web with information they find interesting.
- Then, have students pick a solar cooker on the site that they would like to build, read the directions to build it, write a summary, and put all the information with a graphic of the solar cooker into their Inspiration web.
Sunshine State Standards
NETS Profiles for Technology Literate Students
- Use keyboards and other common input and output devices (including adaptive devices when necessary) efficiently and effectively.
- Use technology tools (e.g., multimedia authoring, presentation, Web tools, digital cameras, scanners) for individual and collaborative writing, communication, and publishing activities to create knowledge products for audiences inside and outside the classroom.
- Determine when technology is useful and select the appropriate tool(s) and technology resources to address a variety of tasks and problems.
- Internet access
- Inspiration software
- Scientist to speak to class about solar cooking
- Several types of solar cookers
- Food for cookout!
ETC > NSA Home > Health and PE 3-5 > Solar Cooking: For Earth Day, students will use technology to research climate change and solar cookers and develop a plan for creating their own solar cooker.