ETC > NSA Home > Science 3-5 >
Publishing a Newspaper about Biomes
Students will use technology to publish a newspaper about biomes.
- Students will use research skills to locate specific factual information from websites
- Students will use their writing skills create informational text
- Students will use construction paper to make a prototype for their newspaper
- Students will publish their newspaper using publishing software
Phase I: The Information Gatherers
- Students use Kidspiration to develop a project map of their Biome
- Students use wireless technology to research the following:
- o Where in the world is their biome? Students will write facts and gather pictures about location and the climate of their biome.
- o Who’s living in your biome? Students will chose two animals and write facts and gather pictures about the animals and their habitat within their biome
- o What’s growing on in your biome? Students will choose a plant and tree from their biome and write facts and gather pictures of their biome
- o Students will collect pictures of their biome components in a folder by dropping and dragging from websites visited Phase II: Putting It All Together
- Students will use a large piece of construction paper to place their informational cards from their research for the newspaper layout
- Students will design their prototype in the Pages program template including illustrations form their student online folders
- Students will publish their newspaper using Pages
Sunshine State Standards
- SC.D 1.2.2
- SC.D 1.2.3
- SC.G 1.2.1
- SC.G 1.2.2
- SC.G 1.2.5
- SC.G 1.2.6
- SS.B 1.2
- SS.B 2.2
NETS Profiles for Technology Literate Students
- Use keyboards and other common input and output devices (including adaptive devices when necessary) efficiently and effectively.
- Use general purpose productivity tools and peripherals to support personal productivity, remediate skill deficits, and facilitate learning throughout the curriculum.
- Use technology tools (e.g., multimedia authoring, presentation, Web tools, digital cameras, scanners) for individual and collaborative writing, communication, and publishing activities to create knowledge products for audiences inside and outside the classroom.
- Computers with internet access
- Publishing software programs: (Kidspiration, Appleworks, Pages)
- Index cards
- Construction paper
- Phase II was originally titled “THE ARTISTRY” Here students used project tri-fold boards to illustrate their biomes. Animals, trees, and landscapes were depicted. The above phase was Phase III “Putting it all Together” which was the newspaper phase.
ETC > NSA Home > Science 3-5 > Publishing a Newspaper about Biomes: Students will use technology to publish a newspaper about biomes.