ETC > NSA Home > Music 3-5 >
Video coming soon!
Students will use GarageBand to incorporate an artist's techniques into their own project.
- The students will be able to look at an artists craft and the process it took to achieve it, and then will use GarageBand to incorporate the artists techniques into their own project.
- The students will take turns reading portions of Satchmos Blues by Alan Schroeder aloud to one another.
- As students read, the teacher will ask discussion questions in order to increase comprehension of the story.
- After reading the story, the class will listen to a Louis Armstrong song sample from either a Louis Armstrong website or a clip from the CD.
- The teacher will demonstrate the use of GarageBand, by dragging jazz sound clips into the song and creating one jazz piece. The students will see the demonstration from a projection of the computer screen.
- After the teacher makes a jazz piece modeling Louis Armstrong, the students will take turns dragging sound clips into a class-produced jazz piece.
- While the students are creating their jazz piece, the teacher will guide their choices by reminding them of instrument choice and most importantly, the patterns found in music.
- The students will listen to their jazz piece.
Sunshine State Standards
NETS Profiles for Technology Literate Students
- Students demonstrate a sound understanding of the nature and operation of technology systems.
- Students are proficient in the use of technology.
- Students use technology tools to enhance learning, increase productivity, and promote creativity.
- Students use productivity tools to collaborate in constructing technology-enhanced models, prepare publications, and produce other creative works.
- Satchmos Blues by Alan Schroeder
- CD Player
- Louis Armstrong CD
- Internet Access
The class song may be placed on the class website and added to the class music library on CD. After creating a class song, students may create individual songs modeling Louis Armstrong. Students who know how to play instruments, may record their own song clips to add to their GarageBand songs. Students may research Louis Armstrong through books and websites.
ETC > NSA Home > Music 3-5 > Satchmo's Blues: Students will use GarageBand to incorporate an artist's techniques into their own project.