ETC > NSA Home > Foreign Languages K-2 >
Students will learn sign language by using online resources and technology tools.
- Students will engage in conversation, express feelings and emotions, and exchange opinions through sign language.
- Students will understand sign language on a variety of topics.
- Students will present information, concepts, and ideas to an audience of listeners on a variety of topics.
- Read and discuss the book Moses Goes to a Concert by Isaac Millman.
- Complete an internet research activity on sign language using Nettrekker - http://www.nettrekker.com
- Next, place students into cooperative learning groups to create the tutorial video. This process will take about 6 days:
- Day 1: Give each group a list of words that they will be responsible for learning and presenting. Using teamwork guidelines, the students will decide who will present each word and begin to use the designated website to view QuickTime videos to learn their words. They will practice their section of the video in preparation for taping day.
- Day 2: The students will videotape their section of the tutorial.
- Day 3/4: As a small group with the teacher, they will then edit their video using iMovie and add any transitions needed.
- Day 5: The students will invite other classes to view their tutorial video on sign language. The video can be stored in the school library for further check out as needed.
- Day 6: The students will complete a self-evaluation of their project to analyze their results.
Sunshine State Standards
NETS Profiles for Technology Literate Students
- Use input devices (e.g., mouse, keyboard, remote control) and output devices (e.g., monitor, printer) to successfully operate computers, VCRs, audiotapes, and other technologies.
- Use a variety of media and technology resources for directed and independent learning activities.
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with peers, family members, and others when using technology in the classroom.
- Create developmentally appropriate multimedia products with support from teachers, family members, or student partners.
- Use technology resources (e.g., puzzles, logical thinking programs, writing tools, digital cameras, drawing tools) for problem solving, communication, and illustration of thoughts, ideas, and stories.
- Moses Goes to a Concert by Isaac Millman
- Internet access
- Digital video camera
ETC > NSA Home > Foreign Languages K-2 >Sign Language: Students will learn sign language by using online resources and technology tools.