ETC > NSA Home > Science 6-8 >
How We Impact the Earth
Students will learn how humans impact the earth and present their findings through a multimedia presentation.
- To understand why and how the abiotic and biotic parts of Earth are being changed.
- To understand the possible short and long-term consequences of these changes if they are allowed to continue.
- To research possible solutions and ways to work cooperatively to minimize or reverse our negative impact on Earth.
- Using the wireless computer lab, students research the ways in which humans impact the biotic and abiotic parts of Earth.
- A list of impacts is generated for each class. Class generated list becomes the topics to be investigated and presented in a Keynote presentation.
- Groups of 4 students will choose one of the problems from the class list of human impacts.
- Each member of the group is responsible for 1 of the following essential questions. The answers will become a part of the group's final project.
- What is the problem?
- Who or what is being affected by the problem and why?
- If the problem were to continue, what are the possible long and short-term consequences to the biotic and abiotic parts of Earth?
- What is already being done to solve the problem? What are some additional possible solutions?
- Groups will organize and present the information gathered in a multimedia slideshow presentation. Scoring will be done using an assessment rubric.
Sunshine State Standards
NETS Profiles for Technology Literate Students
- Use content-specific tools, software, and simulations (e.g., environmental probes, graphing calculators, exploratory environments, Web tools) to support learning and research.
- Apply productivity/multimedia tools and peripherals to support personal productivity, group collaboration, and learning throughout the curriculum.
- Collaborate with peers, experts, and others using telecommunications and collaborative tools to investigate curriculum-related problems, issues, and information, and to develop solutions or products for audiences inside and outside the classroom.
- Select and use appropriate tools and technology resources to accomplish a variety of tasks and solve problems.
- Wireless computer lab
- Keynote or Power Point software
- Assessment Rubric
ETC > NSA Home > Social Studies 3-5 >How We Impact the Earth: Students will learn how humans impact the earth and present their findings through a multimedia presentation.