NVDA (Non Visual Desktop Access) is a free, open source screen reader for Windows. This tutorial covers how to get started using NVDA on your Windows computer.
- NVDA Basics Video Tutorial
- Video Tutorial: Bigger Version (.mov, 5 MB)
- Directions (HTML)
- Print Directions (Tagged PDF)
- Choose Start, All Programs, NVDA, NVDA. You will hear a tone to let you know NVDA is running in the background.
- To hear what is currently on the screen, start moving the mouse around. NVDA will read what is under the cursor as you move the mouse. While NVDA is running you can use all of the standard Windows 7 keyboard shortcuts as well.
- To pause NVDA, press the Control key on your keyboard. Pressing the Control key again will resume NVDA.
- Most NVDA commands require you to use the Insert key on your keyboard. To hear the title of the current window, press Insert, T. To hear the contents of the current window, press Insert, B.
- To quit NVDA, press Insert, Q.
- To start NVDA using the keyboard, press Control, Alt,