The Alamo

| View Cart ⇗ | Info

The Alamo, originally known as Mission San Antonio de Valero, is a former Roman Catholic mission and fortress compound, now a museum in San Antonio, Texas located at 30 Alamo Plaza. The compound which originally comprised a santuary and surrounding buildings, was built by the Spanish Empire in the 18tth century for education of local Native Americans after their conversion to Christianity. In 1793, the mission was secularized and soon abandoned. Ten years later, it became a fortress housing the Mexican Army group the Second Flying Company of San Carlos de Parras. Mesican soldiers held the mission until December 1835, when General Matrin Perfecto de Cos surrendered it to the Texian Army following the siege of Bexar. A relatively small number of Texian soldiers then occupied the compound. Texian General Sam Houston believed the Texians did not have the manpower to hold the fort and ordered Colonel James Bowie to destroy it. Bowie chose to disregard those orders and instead worked with Colonel James C. Neill to fortify the mission. On February 23, Mexican General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna led a large force of Mexican soldiers into San Antonio de Bexar and promptly initiated a siege. The siege ended on March 6, when the Mexican army attacked the Alamo; by the end of the Battle of the Alamo all or almost all of the defenders were killed. When the Mexican army retreated from Texas at the end of the Texas Revolution, they tore down many of the Alamo walls and burned some of the building


James Hunter Young People's History of the World (Chicago, IL: The International Publishing Company, 1897)


TIFF (full resolution)

2400×1732, 2.6 MiB

Large GIF

1024×738, 344.4 KiB

Medium GIF

640×461, 143.0 KiB

Small GIF

320×230, 36.6 KiB