The Old Church, Perth, N.B.
During the Middle Ages, Perth’s only parish church was the Burgh Kirk of St. John the Baptist. With the town centre dominated by this huge building. The building was split into three congregations (the East, West and Middle Kirks), divided by internal walls, after the Reformation, and was only returned to its medieval proportions in the 1920s by Sir Robert Lorimer, who restored the building as a war-memorial for those soldiers from Perthshire who had fallen in the Great War.
Rev. C. Arthur Lane Illustrated Notes on English Church History (London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1901)