In 1522, the priory was surrendered to Cardinal Wolsey, having selected it as a site for his proposed college. However, in 1529 the foundation was taken over by King Henry VIII. Work stopped, but in June 1532 the college was refounded by the King. In 1546, Henry VIII transferred to it from Oseney to the see of Oxford. The cathedral has the name of Ecclesia Christi Cathedralis Oxoniensis, given to it by King Henry VIII’s foundation charter.
Keywordscathedral, church, chapel, place of worship, Basilica, sanctuary, Abbey, parish, kcathedral, house of god
Rev. C. Arthur Lane Illustrated Notes on English Church History (London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1901)