View from Rivière Aux Canards
Originally named Rivière aux Canards ("Duck River"), the River Canard community is home to one of the last vestiges of the French-speaking inhabitants of the Detroit River region, settled from France and Quebec in the 18th century. At St. Joseph’s parish, one can still today (2007) hear the mass in French.
Benson John Lossing, ed. Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (vol. 9) (New York, NY: Harper and Brothers, 1912)