ETC > NSA Home > Social Studies 6-8 >
South America Commercials
Students will use digital tools to create commercials that promote travel to South American countries.
- To practice good research techniques.
- To learn about other cultures through internet research.
- To have students work collaboratively and effectively in groups.
- To understand the basics, including preparation, involved in a commercial/presentation.
- To practice/share technology skills through the use of PowerPoint or Publisher.
- Students were assigned groups and then they chose the South American country that they wanted to do their project on. (Only 6 choices were given-Brazil, Venezuela, Chile, Argentina, Colombia, and Peru)
- Teacher reviewed requirements of project using handouts.
- Students divided workload and explored the websites the teacher suggested (on handout). They developed a simple plan.
- Students were given laptops to research their country. Keeping in mind that the goal of the project is to create a PowerPoint/brochure and a commercial, students searched for relevant information such as basic facts, entertainment, weather, history, and other areas of interest.
- Students collected information and keep a daily performance log to journal the work that is being done.
- As a team, students used various methods to merge the slides/brochures together.
- Students used the rubric to thoroughly check that each required portion is completed.
- Students collaborated to create a commercial. They had flexibility in how their PowerPoints/brochures were integrated into the commercial.
- Students presented their commercials to the class.
Sunshine State Standards
NETS Profiles for Technology Literate Students
- Apply strategies for identifying and solving routine hardware and software problems that occur during everyday use.
- Use keyboards and other common input and output devices efficiently and effectively.
- Apply productivity/multimedia tools and peripherals to support personal productivity, group collaboration, and learning throughout the curriculum.
- Collaborate with peers, experts, and others using telecommunications and collaborative tools to investigate curriculum-related problems, issues, and information, and to develop solutions or products for audiences inside and outside the classroom.
- MS Word
- MS PowerPoint
- MS Publisher
ETC > NSA Home > Social Studies 6-8 > South America Commercials: Students will use digital tools to create commercials that promote travel to South American countries.