Placoid Scales of a Shark

| View Cart ⇗ | Info

These placoid scales are found in cartilaginous fishes. They are also called dermal denticles. These scales do not grow in size, more are simply added as the fish grows larger.


William Dwight Whitney, PhD, LLD The Century Dictionary: An Encyclopedic Lexicon of the English Language (New York, NY: The Century Co., 1895) 5368


TIFF (full resolution)

2295×2707, 2.1 MiB

Large GIF

868×1024, 451.4 KiB

Medium GIF

542×640, 216.9 KiB

Small GIF

271×320, 74.4 KiB