St. Aldhelm's Church, Bradford-on-Avon
Notable is the Saxon church (dedicated to St. Laurence), which may have been founded by St. Aldhelm around 700, and could have been a temporary burial site for King Edward the Martyr. It was re-discovered by Canon Jones in the 19th century, having been used for secular purposes (apparently becoming a house, a school and part of a factory).
KeywordsAnglo-saxon, house, school, cathedral, church, tower, religion, sanctuary, factory, parish, Bradford-on-Avon
Rev. C. Arthur Lane Illustrated Notes on English Church History (London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1901)