Bridge over the Swift, Lutterworth

| View Cart ⇗ | Info

The town was granted its Market Charter in 1214 by King John and continues to hold a market to this day. In the 14th century religious reformer Canon John Wyclif was Rector in Lutterworth’s Parish Church of St. Mary between 1374 and 1384, and it was here that he is traditionally believed to have produced the first ever translation of the Bible from Latin into English. Lutterworth’s biblical connections continue as it houses the British Isles headquarters of Gideons International.


Rev. C. Arthur Lane Illustrated Notes on English Church History (London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1901)


TIFF (full resolution)

2400×2085, 3.3 MiB

Large GIF

1024×889, 474.1 KiB

Medium GIF

640×556, 213.7 KiB

Small GIF

320×278, 56.8 KiB