Trocadero Palace (old)
An illustration of the original Trocadero Palace. For the 1878 World’s Fair, the Palais du Trocadéro was built here (where meetings of international organizations could be held during the fair). The palace’s form was that of a large concert hall with two wings and two towers; its style was a mixture of exotic and historical references, generally called “Moorish” but with some Byzantine elements. The architect was Gabriel Davioud. The concert hall contained a large organ built by Aristide Cavaillé-Coll, the first large organ to be installed in a concert hall in France. It was removed to a hall in Lyon and subsequently destroyed by fire. The building proved unpopular, though the cost expended in its construction delayed its replacement for nearly fifty years.
J. G. Holland, ed. Scribner's Monthly, An illustrated Magazine For the People (New York, NY: Scribner and Company, 1876)