Washington's Headquarters at New York
The Morris-Jumel Mansion (also known as the Roger and Mary Philipse Morris House), located in historic Washington Heights, is the oldest house in Manhattan. It served as a headquarters for both sides in the American Revolution. Between September 14 and October 20, 1776, General George Washington used the mansion as his temporary headquarters after he and his army were forced to evacuate Brooklyn Heights following their loss to the British Army under the command of General William Howe in the Battle of Long Island.
Keywordsbase, Morris-Jumel mansion, head main office, president general commander in chief george washington's headquarters in new york, command post
Benson John Lossing, ed. Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (vol. 10) (New York, NY: Harper and Brothers, 1912)