Clippix ETC: An online picture service of Florida's Educational Technology Clearinghouse

picture sizes
West Exterior Elevation Drawing of the Castillo de San Marcos, 1987

West Exterior Elevation Drawing of the Castillo de San Marcos, 1987

This elevation drawing of the Castillo de San Marcos from the west shows the baluarte de San Pablo with garita, curtain wall, and baluarte de San Pedro with garita. The openings along the top are cannon embrasures.

The Castillo de San Marcos was renamed Fort Marion after the United States acquired Florida from Spain in 1821. In 1942, Congress restored the original name.

Drawn 1987 by Michael T. Webb as a part of the Historic American Buildings Survey. Drawing was downloaded from the Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. and photo edited by the Florida Center for Instructional Technology.

Galleries: Architectural Drawings, Forts and Fortifications, St. Johns
Keywords: Castillo de San Marcos, Fort Marion, St. Augustine, baluarte, bastion, curtain wall, drawing, elevation drawing, embrasures, fort, garita
Photo Location: Castillo de San Marcos, St. Augustine, FL
Photographer: Michael T. Webb
Date of Photo: 06/10/1909
Original Dimensions: 5000×3369
Picture Orientation: Landscape
GPS Coordinates: 29°53′52″N 81°18′41″W
Picture Number: 26130