Seal of the Board of War and Ordnance
In 1776 the Board of War and Ordnance was created for issuing supplies to troops in the field, and the first Ordnance magazine was established at Carlisle, Pennsylvania the following year. An armory and arsenal at Springfield, Massachusetts (1777-1968) was also established along with later armories such as Harpers Ferry, West Virginia (1799-1861), and Watertown, Massachusetts (1816-1968).
Benson John Lossing, ed. Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (vol. 10) (New York, NY: Harper and Brothers, 1912)
Courtesy the private collection of Roy Winkelman