Palace of Diocletian, Plan
Diocletian's Palace (Dioklecijanova palaca in Croatian) is a building in Split in Croatia that was built by the emperor Diocletian at the turn of the fourth century AD. The Latin name of the city, Spalatum, was drawn from that of the nearby Greek colony Aspalathos, which in turn was named after a white thorn common in the area. Contrary to popular belief, it has nothing to do with the Latin word for palace, palatium.
A. D. F. Hamlin College Histories of Art History of Architecture (New York, NY: Longmans, Green, and Co., 1915)
Courtesy the private collection of Roy Winkelman