Irrigation by Furrows

| View Cart ⇗ | Info

One way to spread water over a hillside field, “f m is the main ditch and the slope of the hill as shown by the arrows; t o, r p, and s q are small ditches or plow furrows cut on a level line around the face of the hill. The water is let into the field by the short ditch at i, and is then spread over the space b c t o by means of a marginal ditch y z, from which it is made to flow in small streams and in a regular manner over the space between it and the lower ditch t o.” -Department of Agriculture




Department of Agriculture Yearbook of the United States (Washington, DC: Government Printing Office, 1896)


TIFF (full resolution)

2248×2400, 1.2 MiB

Large GIF

959×1024, 107.9 KiB

Medium GIF

599×640, 52.7 KiB

Small GIF

299×320, 18.4 KiB