This shouldered tablet headstone marks the grave of a Confederate soldier whose remains were interred at Arlington National Cemetery. This soldier “mustered in” with the 8th Infantry Regiment, Company G, in late spring of 1862. Most of the soldiers in this company lived near Lake City, Florida. This soldier enlisted as a private, but was promoted to corporal before the end of the American Civil War. The regiment was present at Second Manassas, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Appomattox, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and Gettysburg.
Popular folklore suggests that the reason for the pointed shoulder, on the tablet headstone, was to “prevent Yankees from sitting on them.”