"Albrecht Dürer's House in Nürnberg. From the engraving in Dibdin's 'Biographical Tour.'" -Heath, 1901

Albrecht Dürer's House in Nürnberg

"Albrecht Dürer's House in Nürnberg. From the engraving in Dibdin's 'Biographical Tour.'"…

From Coleridge's The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. An old mariner tells his tales to a young man who is on his way to a wedding.

Ancient Mariner

From Coleridge's The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. An old mariner tells his tales to a young man who…

Union soldiers being held at Andersonville, a Confederate prison.

Union Prisoners Confined at the Confederate Prison at Andersonville

Union soldiers being held at Andersonville, a Confederate prison.

St. John, antigua, from the foreground of the Scotch Church.

Antigua

St. John, antigua, from the foreground of the Scotch Church.

Neighborhood people look in amazement at the first automobile driving down the road.

Automobile Driving Through the Neighborhood

Neighborhood people look in amazement at the first automobile driving down the road.

Beggars walking around town, a dog, and a boy carrying two ducks.

Beggars in Town

Beggars walking around town, a dog, and a boy carrying two ducks.

"Bellaire, O.- Steamboats conveying troops and munitions of war for the Federal forces on the Great Kanawha. Bellaire is a town situated on the Ohio River, three miles below Wheeling, Va. It is the eastern terminus of the Central Ohio Railroad, and the point for crossing the river connecting the Baltimore and Ohio with the above-named railroad. The place contained a population of fifteen hundred or two thousand inhabitants in 1861. Its importance was owing to its eligible position for the rapid concentration of troops. The sketch represents a fleet of boats lying in the river awaiting the quoata of troops and munitions for the prosecution of the war on the Great Kanawha. At this date, 1896, two weekly newspapers are published here. It has two banks, two churches, also manufactures of window-glass and flintware, nails, pig iron, galvanized ware and agricultural machines. The city is lighted with gas, and has waterworks and a street railway. Coal, limestone and fire-clay abound here. Population, about ten thousand." —Leslie, 1896

Bellaire

"Bellaire, O.- Steamboats conveying troops and munitions of war for the Federal forces on the Great…

"Bellaire, O.- Steamboats conveying troops and munitions of war for the Federal forces on the Great Kanawha. Bellaire is a town situated on the Ohio River, three miles below Wheeling, Va. It is the eastern terminus of the Central Ohio Railroad, and the point for crossing the river connecting the Baltimore and Ohio with the above-named railroad. The place contained a population of fifteen hundred or two thousand inhabitants in 1861. Its importance was owing to its eligible position for the rapid concentration of troops. The sketch represents a fleet of boats lying in the river awaiting the quoata of troops and munitions for the prosecution of the war on the Great Kanawha. At this date, 1896, two weekly newspapers are published here. It has two banks, two churches, also manufactures of window-glass and flintware, nails, pig iron, galvanized ware and agricultural machines. The city is lighted with gas, and has waterworks and a street railway. Coal, limestone and fire-clay abound here. Population, about ten thousand." —Leslie, 1896

Bellaire

"Bellaire, O.- Steamboats conveying troops and munitions of war for the Federal forces on the Great…

"Bellaire, O.- Steamboats conveying troops and munitions of war for the Federal forces on the Great Kanawha. Bellaire is a town situated on the Ohio River, three miles below Wheeling, Va. It is the eastern terminus of the Central Ohio Railroad, and the point for crossing the river connecting the Baltimore and Ohio with the above-named railroad. The place contained a population of fifteen hundred or two thousand inhabitants in 1861. Its importance was owing to its eligible position for the rapid concentration of troops. The sketch represents a fleet of boats lying in the river awaiting the quoata of troops and munitions for the prosecution of the war on the Great Kanawha. At this date, 1896, two weekly newspapers are published here. It has two banks, two churches, also manufactures of window-glass and flintware, nails, pig iron, galvanized ware and agricultural machines. The city is lighted with gas, and has waterworks and a street railway. Coal, limestone and fire-clay abound here. Population, about ten thousand." —Leslie, 1896

Bellaire

"Bellaire, O.- Steamboats conveying troops and munitions of war for the Federal forces on the Great…

"Bellaire, O.- Steamboats conveying troops and munitions of war for the Federal forces on the Great Kanawha. Bellaire is a town situated on the Ohio River, three miles below Wheeling, Va. It is the eastern terminus of the Central Ohio Railroad, and the point for crossing the river connecting the Baltimore and Ohio with the above-named railroad. The place contained a population of fifteen hundred or two thousand inhabitants in 1861. Its importance was owing to its eligible position for the rapid concentration of troops. The sketch represents a fleet of boats lying in the river awaiting the quoata of troops and munitions for the prosecution of the war on the Great Kanawha. At this date, 1896, two weekly newspapers are published here. It has two banks, two churches, also manufactures of window-glass and flintware, nails, pig iron, galvanized ware and agricultural machines. The city is lighted with gas, and has waterworks and a street railway. Coal, limestone and fire-clay abound here. Population, about ten thousand." —Leslie, 1896

Bellaire

"Bellaire, O.- Steamboats conveying troops and munitions of war for the Federal forces on the Great…

Bethlehem, pictured as it was in 1833. Bethlehem is a city with a great deal of religious significance. Its economy is primarily tourist-driven.

Bethlehem

Bethlehem, pictured as it was in 1833. Bethlehem is a city with a great deal of religious significance.…

An illustration of a stone bridge over a small river.

Bridge

An illustration of a stone bridge over a small river.

The seal of Bridgenorth, a parliamentary and municipal borough and market town of England, in the county of Shropshire, on both sides of the Severn.

Bridgenorth

The seal of Bridgenorth, a parliamentary and municipal borough and market town of England, in the county…

Calcutta - Bazaar on the Chitpore Road.

Calcutta

Calcutta - Bazaar on the Chitpore Road.

Towers of the West Gate at Canterbury Cathedral.

Towers of the West Gate

Towers of the West Gate at Canterbury Cathedral.

Old cars driving down a city road.

Cars

Old cars driving down a city road.

A palmetto tree in Charleston, South Carolina.

A Palmetto Tree in Charleston, S.C.

A palmetto tree in Charleston, South Carolina.

Chattanooga, "the Scenic City", is the fourth-largest city in Tennessee (after Memphis, Nashville, and Knoxville), and the seat of Hamilton County, in the United States of America. It is located in southeast Tennessee on Chickamauga and Nickajack Lake, which are both part of the Tennessee River. The city, which lies at the transition between the ridge-and-valley portion of the Appalachian Mountains and the Cumberland Plateau, is surrounded by mountains and ridges. The first inhabitants of the Chattanooga area were Native American Indians with sites dating back to the Upper Paleolithic period, showing continuous occupation through the Archaic, Woodland, Mississippian (900–1650 AD), Muskogean and Cherokee (1776 – 1838 AD) periods.

Chattanooga, Tennessee in 1862

Chattanooga, "the Scenic City", is the fourth-largest city in Tennessee (after Memphis, Nashville, and…

"Chelsea Town Hall." — The Encyclopedia Britannica, 1910

Chelsea

"Chelsea Town Hall." — The Encyclopedia Britannica, 1910

An aerial-view of Lake Alfred, Florida.

City

An aerial-view of Lake Alfred, Florida.

An illustration of a city road.

City

An illustration of a city road.

"Village of Clarksburg, Western Virginia, headquarters of General Rosecrans. Clarksburg, a post village, capital of Harrison County, is situated on the west fork of the Monongahela River, at the mouth of Elk Creek, about two hundred and twenty miles northwest of Richmond. It is built on a high tableland environed by hills. It had in 1861 several churches, academies, two printing offices and many fine stores. Stove coal abounded in its vicinity. The Northwestern Railroad, a branch of the Baltimore and Ohio, passed through it. It has about two thousand inhabitants. For a short time Clarksburg was the headquarters of General Rosecrans. The situation was briefly this: The Cheat Mountain Gaps, the key to the whole country, were held by a strong force, a portion of General Reynolds's brigade, the remainder of which was stationed at Bevery, Huttonsville, and in that vicinity. Other portions of General Rosecrans's command were scattered over almost the whole northwestern part of Virginia, guarding the railroad lines from Wheeling and Parkersburg down to Grafton, and then eastward through the Cheat River country, Oakland, Altamont, and almost to Cumberland, occupying the Kanawha Valley by General Cox's brigade, and holding towns like Weston, Buckhannon, Summerville, Philippi and Bealington." —Leslie, 1896

Village of Clarksburg

"Village of Clarksburg, Western Virginia, headquarters of General Rosecrans. Clarksburg, a post village,…

"Village of Clarksburg, Western Virginia, headquarters of General Rosecrans. Clarksburg, a post village, capital of Harrison County, is situated on the west fork of the Monongahela River, at the mouth of Elk Creek, about two hundred and twenty miles northwest of Richmond. It is built on a high tableland environed by hills. It had in 1861 several churches, academies, two printing offices and many fine stores. Stove coal abounded in its vicinity. The Northwestern Railroad, a branch of the Baltimore and Ohio, passed through it. It has about two thousand inhabitants. For a short time Clarksburg was the headquarters of General Rosecrans. The situation was briefly this: The Cheat Mountain Gaps, the key to the whole country, were held by a strong force, a portion of General Reynolds's brigade, the remainder of which was stationed at Bevery, Huttonsville, and in that vicinity. Other portions of General Rosecrans's command were scattered over almost the whole northwestern part of Virginia, guarding the railroad lines from Wheeling and Parkersburg down to Grafton, and then eastward through the Cheat River country, Oakland, Altamont, and almost to Cumberland, occupying the Kanawha Valley by General Cox's brigade, and holding towns like Weston, Buckhannon, Summerville, Philippi and Bealington." —Leslie, 1896

Village of Clarksburg

"Village of Clarksburg, Western Virginia, headquarters of General Rosecrans. Clarksburg, a post village,…

"Village of Clarksburg, Western Virginia, headquarters of General Rosecrans. Clarksburg, a post village, capital of Harrison County, is situated on the west fork of the Monongahela River, at the mouth of Elk Creek, about two hundred and twenty miles northwest of Richmond. It is built on a high tableland environed by hills. It had in 1861 several churches, academies, two printing offices and many fine stores. Stove coal abounded in its vicinity. The Northwestern Railroad, a branch of the Baltimore and Ohio, passed through it. It has about two thousand inhabitants. For a short time Clarksburg was the headquarters of General Rosecrans. The situation was briefly this: The Cheat Mountain Gaps, the key to the whole country, were held by a strong force, a portion of General Reynolds's brigade, the remainder of which was stationed at Bevery, Huttonsville, and in that vicinity. Other portions of General Rosecrans's command were scattered over almost the whole northwestern part of Virginia, guarding the railroad lines from Wheeling and Parkersburg down to Grafton, and then eastward through the Cheat River country, Oakland, Altamont, and almost to Cumberland, occupying the Kanawha Valley by General Cox's brigade, and holding towns like Weston, Buckhannon, Summerville, Philippi and Bealington." —Leslie, 1896

Village of Clarksburg

"Village of Clarksburg, Western Virginia, headquarters of General Rosecrans. Clarksburg, a post village,…

A seal representing the town of Colchester, England.

Colchester

A seal representing the town of Colchester, England.

An image depicting the city of ancient Corinth.

Ancient Corinth

An image depicting the city of ancient Corinth.

The gold mining camp of Cripple Creek, Colorado.

Cripple Creek Mine

The gold mining camp of Cripple Creek, Colorado.

A market cross is a structure used to mark a market square in market towns, originally from Western European architecture. Market crosses can be found in most market towns in Britain, with those in Scotland known as "mercat crosses". British emigrants often installed such crosses in their new cities and several can be found in Canada and Australia.

Market Cross

A market cross is a structure used to mark a market square in market towns, originally from Western…

An illustration of the besieging of a Dacian City.

Siege of a Dacian City

An illustration of the besieging of a Dacian City.

An illustration of a factory set near a river with a train track on a bridge.

Factory Near River & Train Tracks

An illustration of a factory set near a river with a train track on a bridge.

Crowd of people outside of a building.

Faneuil Hall, Boston, At the Close of the Revolution

Crowd of people outside of a building.

The gate at Herculaneum. Herculaneum was an ancient Roman town famous for being preserved along with Pompeii.

Gate at Herculaneum

The gate at Herculaneum. Herculaneum was an ancient Roman town famous for being preserved along with…

"View of Grafton, West Virginia, occupied by the Federal Troops, under the command of General McClellan, in 1861. This beautiful little town is situated on the banks of the Monongahela, and is the junction of the Norhwestern Virginia Railroad. It is ninety-six miles below Wheeling, one hundred and ninety from Pittsburg, and two hundred and seventy-nine miles from Baltimore. Its principal hotel was the Grafton House, owned by the railroad company, and conducted on very liberal principles. The town was occupied by the Federal troops in 1861, and was a position of considerable importance. The beauty of its situation can be readily seen from our sketch. It is one hundred and ninety-eight miles from Harper's Ferry, and two hundred and one from Cumberland." —Leslie, 1896

Grafton

"View of Grafton, West Virginia, occupied by the Federal Troops, under the command of General McClellan,…

"View of Grafton, West Virginia, occupied by the Federal Troops, under the command of General McClellan, in 1861. This beautiful little town is situated on the banks of the Monongahela, and is the junction of the Norhwestern Virginia Railroad. It is ninety-six miles below Wheeling, one hundred and ninety from Pittsburg, and two hundred and seventy-nine miles from Baltimore. Its principal hotel was the Grafton House, owned by the railroad company, and conducted on very liberal principles. The town was occupied by the Federal troops in 1861, and was a position of considerable importance. The beauty of its situation can be readily seen from our sketch. It is one hundred and ninety-eight miles from Harper's Ferry, and two hundred and one from Cumberland." —Leslie, 1896

Grafton

"View of Grafton, West Virginia, occupied by the Federal Troops, under the command of General McClellan,…

"View of Grafton, West Virginia, occupied by the Federal Troops, under the command of General McClellan, in 1861. This beautiful little town is situated on the banks of the Monongahela, and is the junction of the Norhwestern Virginia Railroad. It is ninety-six miles below Wheeling, one hundred and ninety from Pittsburg, and two hundred and seventy-nine miles from Baltimore. Its principal hotel was the Grafton House, owned by the railroad company, and conducted on very liberal principles. The town was occupied by the Federal troops in 1861, and was a position of considerable importance. The beauty of its situation can be readily seen from our sketch. It is one hundred and ninety-eight miles from Harper's Ferry, and two hundred and one from Cumberland." —Leslie, 1896

Grafton

"View of Grafton, West Virginia, occupied by the Federal Troops, under the command of General McClellan,…

"View of Grafton, West Virginia, occupied by the Federal Troops, under the command of General McClellan, in 1861. This beautiful little town is situated on the banks of the Monongahela, and is the junction of the Norhwestern Virginia Railroad. It is ninety-six miles below Wheeling, one hundred and ninety from Pittsburg, and two hundred and seventy-nine miles from Baltimore. Its principal hotel was the Grafton House, owned by the railroad company, and conducted on very liberal principles. The town was occupied by the Federal troops in 1861, and was a position of considerable importance. The beauty of its situation can be readily seen from our sketch. It is one hundred and ninety-eight miles from Harper's Ferry, and two hundred and one from Cumberland." —Leslie, 1896

Grafton

"View of Grafton, West Virginia, occupied by the Federal Troops, under the command of General McClellan,…

"Halifax Town Hall." — The Encyclopedia Britannica, 1910

Halifax

"Halifax Town Hall." — The Encyclopedia Britannica, 1910

The town of Harper's Ferry, where an important Civil War battle was fought in 1862.

Harper's Ferry

The town of Harper's Ferry, where an important Civil War battle was fought in 1862.

A man riding his horse through town.

Horseback Man

A man riding his horse through town.

Horses and wagons at the Battle of Willis Church.

Horses and Wagons

Horses and wagons at the Battle of Willis Church.

An illustration of horses running wild through town.

Horses Running Wild Through Town

An illustration of horses running wild through town.

"Jefferson City, capital of Missouri. The arrival of General Fremont's division, September 26th, 1861. Our sketch of Jefferson City was taken from the southern side of Missouri, and shows the Capitol in bold relief. The railroad runs along the side of the river to Tipton and Sedalia, at both of which places General Fremont established camps and concentrated a large force preparatory to crossing the Osage in pursuit of General Sterling Price." —Leslie, 1896

Jefferson City

"Jefferson City, capital of Missouri. The arrival of General Fremont's division, September 26th, 1861.…

"Jefferson City, capital of Missouri. The arrival of General Fremont's division, September 26th, 1861. Our sketch of Jefferson City was taken from the southern side of Missouri, and shows the Capitol in bold relief. The railroad runs along the side of the river to Tipton and Sedalia, at both of which places General Fremont established camps and concentrated a large force preparatory to crossing the Osage in pursuit of General Sterling Price." —Leslie, 1896

Jefferson City

"Jefferson City, capital of Missouri. The arrival of General Fremont's division, September 26th, 1861.…

"Jefferson City, capital of Missouri. The arrival of General Fremont's division, September 26th, 1861. Our sketch of Jefferson City was taken from the southern side of Missouri, and shows the Capitol in bold relief. The railroad runs along the side of the river to Tipton and Sedalia, at both of which places General Fremont established camps and concentrated a large force preparatory to crossing the Osage in pursuit of General Sterling Price." —Leslie, 1896

Jefferson City

"Jefferson City, capital of Missouri. The arrival of General Fremont's division, September 26th, 1861.…

An illustration of the town of Le Mans located in Northern France.

Le Mans

An illustration of the town of Le Mans located in Northern France.

An illustration of Le Mans from the river.

Le Mans

An illustration of Le Mans from the river.

Lyons-la-Forêt is a commune in the Eure department in Normandy, in northern France. Because of its architecture which has been maintained as it was at the beginning of the 17th century, it is also a well-known landmark within the very distinct geophysical and geocultural entity that is the Pays de Bray, known for its traditional bocage landscape of woods, orchards and cattle economy.

The City of Lyons, France

Lyons-la-Forêt is a commune in the Eure department in Normandy, in northern France. Because of…

An illustration of a man with a top hat and cane standing near a lamp post and a boy sitting on a feed trough.

Man & Boy Near Lamp Post

An illustration of a man with a top hat and cane standing near a lamp post and a boy sitting on a feed…

An illustration of a man carrying a woman on his back with a town in the background.

Man Carrying Woman on Back Near Town

An illustration of a man carrying a woman on his back with a town in the background.

A man traveling on horseback through the streets of town.

Man on Horse

A man traveling on horseback through the streets of town.

This image depicts citizens along a narrow road in Spain. A woman rests in chair while donkeys walk on the other side of the road.

Narrow Street in Spain

This image depicts citizens along a narrow road in Spain. A woman rests in chair while donkeys walk…

"Federal troops marching through Second Street, New Fernandina, Fla. Our sketch of New Fernandina in 1862 shows the principal business street in the city, called Second Street. There seemed to be quite a joke in numbering streets where there were not half a dozen in the place; but the spirit of imitation was strong, and as Philadelphia and New York, with their thousands of blocks, are simplified and rendered more easily fundable by the aid of arithmetic, so must be the villages of the South." —Leslie, 1896

New Fernandina

"Federal troops marching through Second Street, New Fernandina, Fla. Our sketch of New Fernandina in…

"Oxford Town Hall." — The Encyclopedia Britannica, 1910

Oxford

"Oxford Town Hall." — The Encyclopedia Britannica, 1910

An illustration of a parade through a town.

Parade Through Town

An illustration of a parade through a town.

A scene of Perryville, Kentucky.

Perryville

A scene of Perryville, Kentucky.

An illustration of the streets of Pompeii. Pompeii is a ruined and partially buried Roman town-city near modern Naples in the Italian region of Campania, in the territory of the comune of Pompei. Along with Herculaneum, its sister city, Pompeii was destroyed, and completely buried, during a long catastrophic eruption of the volcano Mount Vesuvius spanning two days in AD 79.

Streets of Pompeii

An illustration of the streets of Pompeii. Pompeii is a ruined and partially buried Roman town-city…

An illustration of an entry port with ships in a town.

Port with Ships in Town

An illustration of an entry port with ships in a town.

"A street in Harper's Ferry, VA., during the passage of the Potomac by the Federal troops from Maryland, October 24th, 1862. We give a specimen of the grotesque in war. Experience proves that where there is much excitement there is always a rollicking gayety in proportion to the excitement. The terrible stimulus of war constantly produced scenes which almost approached those of a carnival. Among the younger of the Federal soldiers this was very apparent, more especially among some of the zouave regiments." —Leslie, 1896

Passage of the Potomac

"A street in Harper's Ferry, VA., during the passage of the Potomac by the Federal troops from Maryland,…

"The capital of Bohemian,a prosperous well-built city near the centre of the kingdom, on both sides of the Moldau, here crossed by seven bridges; 153 miles northwest of Vienna and 75 miles southeast of Dresden, with both of which it is connected b railroad." -Marshall

View in Prague

"The capital of Bohemian,a prosperous well-built city near the centre of the kingdom, on both sides…

An illustration of a small river.

River

An illustration of a small river.