An illustration of Castle Garden, known today as Castle Clinton or Fort Clinton. Castle Clinton or Fort Clinton was once a circular sandstone fort now located in Battery Park at the southern tip of Manhattan, New York City, in the United States. It subsequently became a beer garden, a theater, the first immigration station (predating Ellis Island), a very popular public aquarium, and finally a national monument.
GalleriesMilitary Fortification, Community Parks and Plazas, Theater, Buildings and Monuments of New York
Harper's New Monthly Magazine (New York, NY: Harper & Brothers, 1871)