The bridge at Pesth
Pesth, also known as Pest, and Pesta is the eastern, mostly flat part of Budapest, comprising about two thirds of Budapest’s territory. In 1838 it was flooded by the Danube. In 1849 the first suspension bridge, the Széchenyi Chain Bridge, was constructed across the Danube connecting Pest with Buda. Consequently, in 1873, the two cities were unified with óbuda to become Budapest.
DeColange, Leo The Heart of Europe from the Rhine to the Danube (Boston, MA: Estes and Lauriat, Publishers, 1883)