A Florida Sketch-Book
by Bradford Torrey
The narrator travels through Florida.
Source: Torrey, B. (1894). A Florida Sketch-Book. Boston: Houghton, Mifflin and Company.
- Chapter 1: “In the Flat-Woods”
- The narrator travels through the flat-woods of Eastern Florida and meets up with strangers. He comments on his experiences on his journey.
- Chapter 2: “Beside the Marsh”
- The narrator describes his surroundings as he sits on the bank of the marsh.
- Chapter 3: “On the Beach at Daytona”
- The narrator describes his stay on Daytona Beach and what he saw there — from birds to plays to scenery.
- Chapter 4: “Along the Hillsborough”
- The narrator describes his favorite road at New Smyrna. He mentions the river that runs along the road and the birds he has seen there.
- Chapter 5: “A Morning at the Old Sugar Mill ”
- The narrator describes his journey to visit “the Old Sugar Mill”, a collection of ruins north of New Smyrna.
- Chapter 6: “On the Upper St. John’s”
- The narrator talks of taking a “botanical stroll” along the St. John's River in Sanford.
- Chapter 7: “On the St. Augustine Road”
- The narrator travels down the St. Augustine Road and describes the scenery and meeting other travelers along the road
- Chapter 8: “Ornithology on a Cotton Plantation”
- The narrator describes his unorthodox travels to an old cotton plantation estate.
- Chapter 9: “A Florida Shrine”
- The narrator describes visiting the Murat estate.
- Chapter 10: “Walks About Tallahassee”
- The narrator arrives in Tallahassee in time to hear a political economist speak. The narrator then goes on to describe Tallahassee itself.
- Year Published: 1895
- Language: English
- Country of Origin: United States of America
- Flesch–Kincaid Level: 6.0
- Word Count: 48,927
- Genre: Informational
- Keywords: florida, nature, travel, travelogue
Torrey, B. (1895). A Florida Sketch-Book. (Lit2Go ed.). Retrieved March 25, 2023, from https://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/130/a-florida-sketch-book/
Torrey, Bradford. A Florida Sketch-Book. Lit2Go Edition. 1895. Web. <https://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/130/a-florida-sketch-book/>. March 25, 2023.
Bradford Torrey, A Florida Sketch-Book, Li2Go edition, (1895), accessed March 25, 2023, https://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/130/a-florida-sketch-book/.