The Castles of Athlin and Dunbayne
by Ann Radcliffe
The Castles of Athlin and Dunbayne is a Gothic story about the feud between the medieval Scottish Highland clans of Athlin and Dunbayne. It was Ann Radcliffe’s first novel.
Source: Radcliffe, A. (1789). The Castles of Athlin and Dunbayne. London, England: Thomas Hookham.
- Chapter I
- The history of the family of the Earl of Athlin and the ongoing feud with Malcolm is introduced.
- Chapter II
- Osbert vows to avenge his father’s death, while Alleyn feels an attraction to Mary. They set out into battle, but face capture.
- Chapter III
- The Baron imprisons Osbert and Alleyn. Alleyn soon returns to Athlin with stories of his escape.
- Chapter IV
- Matilda falls into despair over the fate of her son. A letter arrives, bringing with it a new hope for his escape. Mary begins to think tenderly of Alleyn.
- Chapter V
- The Baron stops the attack on Dunbayne by threatening Osbert’s life. He offers up a trade: the Earl for his sister. Alleyn returns to Athlin and tries to help Matilda find another option.
- Chapter VI
- Osbert becomes acquainted with the Baroness. The deadline for the response to Malcolm approaches.
- Chapter VII
- The history of the inhabitants of Dunbayne is revealed.
- Chapter VIII
- Edmund arrives in Osbert’s cell, ready to enact the escape. Various obstacles arise during the attempted escape. Matilda and Mary learn of the fate of their loved ones.
- Chapter IX
- Alleyn reveals his feelings for Mary to Osbert. The Count offers a match for Mary, but she is hesitant to accept.
- Chapter X
- Malcolm reveals an important secret to the Baroness. Various relationships face the strictures of society, dependent upon class and status to survive.
- Chapter XI
- There is an attack and an impending marriage, delayed by a disappearance.
- Chapter XII
- Identities are revealed and the marriage unites the houses of Athlin and Dunbayne.
Radcliffe, A. (1789). The Castles of Athlin and Dunbayne. (Lit2Go ed.). Retrieved April 01, 2023, from https://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/156/the-castles-of-athlin-and-dunbayne/
Radcliffe, Ann. The Castles of Athlin and Dunbayne. Lit2Go Edition. 1789. Web. <https://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/156/the-castles-of-athlin-and-dunbayne/>. April 01, 2023.
Ann Radcliffe, The Castles of Athlin and Dunbayne, Li2Go edition, (1789), accessed April 01, 2023, https://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/156/the-castles-of-athlin-and-dunbayne/.