Jules G. Verne was a French writer known as one of the earliest science fiction authors. He came from a sea-faring family, hence the setting for many of his novels. His most well-known stories are his series of novels known as “Les voyages extraordinaires” (“Extraordinary Voyages”): Voyage au centre de la terre (Journey to the Center of the Earth), De la terre à la lune (From the Earth to the Moon), Vingt mille lieues sous les mers (Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea), and Le tour du monde en quatre-vingts jours (Around the World in Eighty Days). Most of his stories were first serialized in periodicals before being published in book form.
- Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (1870)
- Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (French: Vingt mille lieues sous les mers) is a classic science fiction novel by French writer Jules Verne, published in 1870. It is about the fictional Captain Nemo and his submarine, Nautilus, as seen by one of his passengers, Professor Pierre Aronnax.
- The Journey to the Center of the Earth (1871)
- Originally published in French in 1864, the first English translation of this classic of adventure and science fiction was published in 1871. The book describes the journey of a scientist, his nephew, and their guide through the Earth's interior by way of volcanic tubes. Along the way, they encounter various threats and wonders, seeing evidence of earlier stages in the planet's development.
- Around the World in 80 Days (1873)
- Around the World in 80 Days (French: Le tour du monde en quatre-vingts jours) is a classic adventure novel by the French writer Jules Verne, first published in 1873. In the story, Phileas Fogg of London and his newly employed French valet Passepartout attempt to circumnavigate the world in 80 days on a £20,000 wager set by his friends at the Reform Club.
FCIT. (2023, September 29). Jules Verne author page. Retrieved September 29, 2023, from
FCIT. "Jules Verne author page." Lit2Go ETC. Web. 29 September 2023. <>.
FCIT, "Jules Verne author page." Accessed September 29, 2023..