History of Modern Mathematics is a comprehensive guide to different theories and strategies of mathematics ranging from Theory of Numbers, Theory of Equations, Complex Numbers, Calculus, Analytical Geometry, and others.
Source: Smith, D.E. (1906). Hisotyr of Modern Mathematics. London: Chapman and Hall.
- Editor's Preface
- Preface to the History of Modern Mathematics.
- Author's Preface
- The author’s preface to the book.
- Article 1: Introduction
- An introduction to the history of mathematics.
- Article 2: Theory of Numbers
- A discussion of the Theory of Numbers and its origin.
- Article 3: Irrational and Transcendent numbers
- A study of irrational and transcendent numbers and how it was first established.
- Article 4: Complex Numbers
- A discussion about complex numbers and an explanation of the theory.
- Article 5: Quaternions and Ausdehnungslehre
- A discussion and explanation of Quaternions and Ausdehnungslehre.
- Article 6: Theory of Equations
- A study of the Theory of Numerical Equations.
- Article 7: Substitutions and Groups
- A look at substitutions and groups.
- Article 8: Determinants
- A discussion of determinants and the theory's origin.
- Article 9: Quantics
- A discussion of the theory of Quantics and its origin.
- Article 10: Calculus
- A discussion of calculus and its origin.
- Article 11: Differential Equations
- A discussion of the Theory of Differential Equations and its origin and importance in mathematics.
- Article 12: Infinite Series
- A discussion of the Theory of Infinite Series and its development.
- Article 13: Theory of Functions
- A discussion of the Theory of Functions and its origin.
- Article 14: Probabilities and Least Squares
- A discussion of probability and least squares as well as the Theory of Probabilities and Errors.
- Article 15: Analytic Geometry
- A look at analytic geometry and its origin.
- Article 16: Modern Geometry
- A discussion of modern geometry and its evolution.
- Article 17: Elementary Geometry
- A look at elementary geometry.
- Article 18: Non-Euclidean Geometry
- A discussion of Non-Euclidean geometry and its origin and first scientific investigation.
- General Tendencies
- A discussion of the mathematical leaders of the nineteenth century.
Smith, D. (1906). History of Modern Mathematics. (Lit2Go ed.). Retrieved August 10, 2020, from
Smith, David Eugene. History of Modern Mathematics. Lit2Go Edition. 1906. Web. <>. August 10, 2020.
David Eugene Smith, History of Modern Mathematics, Li2Go edition, (1906), accessed August 10, 2020,.