In the Wilds of Florida is a tale of an Irish schoolboy who leaves school and his struggling family in Ireland to come to America. He experiences a Florida where fighting still erupts between Cherokee and Seminole Indians, where white people are under threat of Indian attack, and the landscape is mostly swamp or plains of dense brush.
Source: Kingston, W.H.G. (1901). In the Wilds of Florida. London: Thomas Nelson and Sons, Ltd.
- Chapter 1
- Maurice and his father are invited to America to offer assistance to their family members. The travel there is peopled with interesting characters and the excitement of a child gone overboard.
- Chapter 2
- A short history of Florida is presented. The travelers encounter wildlife and Indians.
- Chapter 3
- They arrive at the Kearney house and get to know the family and the area.
- Chapter 4
- he men set out in search of Rochford. They meet and Indian chief.
- Chapter 5
- The group travels the coast, gaining familiarity with the Florida wildlife.
- Chapter 6
- The men travel through the Keys and meet with more adventure.
- Chapter 7
- The men hunt and forage for food during their travels through Lake Kissimmee. They flee from Indians.
- Chapter 8
- A deer hunt leads to separation and a night spent avoiding a pack of wolves.
- Chapter 9
- Hunger turns to desperation, until the men find water. Unfortunate events lead to further troubles.
- Chapter 10
- The men are assisted by runaway slaves. They find food, but also discover several dead bodies.
- Chapter 11
- The group is finally reunited.
- Chapter 12
- The men discover the site of an ambush. Rochford reappears.
- Chapter 13
- The men worry about possible attacks. Spotted Wolf disappears.
- Chapter 14
- The men find a fort. Carlos takes out his anger on Spotted Wolf.
- Chapter 15
- The pattern of revenge continues.
- Chapter 16
- The men return from their journey. There is a fire. The fate of Oceola is revealed.
Kingston, W. (1901). In the Wilds of Florida. (Lit2Go ed.). Retrieved October 28, 2016, from
Kingston, W.H.G.. In the Wilds of Florida. Lit2Go Edition. 1901. Web. <>. October 28, 2016.
W.H.G. Kingston, In the Wilds of Florida, Li2Go edition, (1901), accessed October 28, 2016,.