VoiceOver may have problems pronouncing certain words, such as acronyms and abbreviations, correctly. To make sure VoiceOver pronounces these items correctly you can adjust the pronunciation settings in the VoiceOver Utility.
- VoiceOver Pronunciation Video Tutorial
- Video Tutorial: Bigger Version (.mov, 5 MB)
- Directions (HTML)
- Print Directions (Tagged PDF)
To change the VoiceOver pronunciation settings:
- Choose Apple, System Preferences, Universal Access.
- Choose Open VoiceOver Utility in the Seeing pane of the Universal Access window.
- Select the Pronunciation tab of the Speech pane.
- Click on the Add button at the bottom of the window (the Plus icon), then enter the word VoiceOver is not pronouncing correctly in the Text field and the desired pronunciation in the Substitution field. Press Return to finish adding the new pronunciation.