Closed captioning allows people with hearing impairments to read what is being said onscreen. Both versions of QuickTime Player, the free media player included with Mac OS X, support closed captioning.
- Quicktime Closed Captioning Video Tutorial
- Video Tutorial: Bigger Version (.mov, 7.9 MB)
- Directions (HTML)
- Print Directions (Tagged PDF)
- Launch QuickTime Player 7 and choose QuickTime Player 7, Preferences.
- Check the box next to “Show closed captioning when available.”
- To Show/Hide the captions choose View, Show/Hide Closed Captioning.
Closed captioning is enabled by default in QuickTime Player X, the new version of the player. To Show/Hide the captions choose View, Show/Hide Closed Captioning. QuickTime Player displays the captions as a black strip over the video.